Songs & Smiles
A music group for babies and toddlers, their grown-ups and care/retirement home residents.
We sing, move, play, make friends and - most importantly - have lots of fun!
Our sessions have been co-designed with a specialist music therapist to make them engaging and interactive for the youngest through to the oldest members of the group. Our mission is for everyone to come away smiling, and we mean everyone - tiny babies, on-the-go toddlers, parents and guardians, older residents, people living with dementia, care home staff, our volunteers, the residents' families (who often love to join us)...we all have a great time.
From colourful scarves and shakers to bubble machines and action songs, there's plenty to stimulate the imagination and senses. Our sessions are informal and relaxed, giving everyone the chance to participate at their own comfort level.
After the music we have Meet & Mingle time - lots of toys, refreshments and time to chat. As parents/guardians and children become regular attendees, intergenerational friendships begin to flourish. It’s lovely for residents to watch the little ones grow over time, for parents/guardians to connect with new people and for children to have older people in their lives on a regular basis.
For care/retirement homes
- A deeply-enriching experience for your residents. Music is proven to have a positive impact on cognitive functions for older people in care homes, particularly those with dementia, whilst intergenerational activities reduce loneliness and feelings of isolation.
- A fully-managed service: we provide trained volunteers, equipment, and handle all the marketing to parents. We ensure that our sessions have a minimal impact on your staff’s workload (and hopefully bring them added job satisfaction!)
- Affordable and flexible: we tailor our service to fit your requirements. As a not-for-profit Community Interest Company, our priority is ensuring every care home that wants to take part can do so, regardless of circumstance.
- A wonderful way to give something back to your local community. By attending with your child, you’re helping to reduce loneliness and social isolation amongst older people – it’s a great feeling!
- Gives your child the valuable opportunity to interact with different generations, helping to make the ageing process and disability a normal part of their lives.
- A fun, creative and affordable activity to enjoy with your little ones. Our sessions are aimed at 0-4 year olds, but older siblings are welcome too. Music, playing instruments and singing are a fantastic way to develop your child’s language and fine motor skills.
Sessions cost £1 per adult+child, with additional adults and children costing 50p each. This includes refreshments. Like our Facebook page, follow us on Twitter or join our mailing list to hear about new Songs & Smiles sessions in your area.
- A life-affirming way to spend your free time, bringing joy and laughter to those in our society who are often most at need.
- We have a variety of roles, whether you want to lead the groups, welcome families, help with publicity or more.
- We provide all the training and ongoing support you’ll need.
Where and when?
Songs & Smiles currently runs in north east London: Walthamstow, Leyton, Chingford and Forest Gate. We have more launches planned over the coming months.
The sessions cost £1 per adult+child, including refreshments. Register your interest in joining a session by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.