Songs & Smiles Group Coordinator (volunteer)
Help co-ordinate sessions, manage volunteers and spread the word about our joy-filled music groups
About Songs & Smiles
Songs & Smiles is an intergenerational event that unites babies/toddlers, their parents/guardians and care home residents. It brings an incredible amount of joy to the residents, many of whom are unable to get out and about and can often feel isolated.
It also fulfils a vital role by introducing children to a generation that they might not otherwise regularly come into contact with. And parents/guardians benefit too, by meeting new friends and knowing they're making a positive impact in their community - all whilst having lots of fun
what you'll be doing
You will play a vital role in ensuring our events run smoothly and effectively. This will involve:
- Recruiting, shortlisting, and managing volunteers
- Building strong relationships with our care home partners and ensuring they're happy with our service
- Helping to promote events to parents and manage attendance numbers
- Keeping our digital event listings, our promotional material and our databases up-to-date
We're always looking for ways to improve how we operate so will really welcome your input at a strategic level as well as with day-to-day operations.
What we’re looking for
We are looking for someone who has experience in volunteer or project management, who:
- Is detail-focused and highly organised
- Enjoys problem-solving and experimenting with new approaches
- Is a self-starter and happy to work to their own initiative
- Is great at building relationships with a range of different people and organisations
- Isn't afraid to challenge the way we do things and suggest alternatives
- Shares our passion for reducing loneliness, improving wellbeing, tackling ageism and uniting local communities
If you feel your professional experience in a different area would be a good match then we'd love to hear from you too.
what difference will you make?
Songs & Smiles is a wonderful, life-affirming activity that brings joy to babies and toddlers, their grown-up and care home residents. Many of the residents hardly ever leave the home and some never get visitors, so our sessions can truly be a lifeline to the outside world. You will be the glue that helps everything hang together by ensuring things happen as they should, when they should! Your professional expertise will give our organisation a huge boost. It's a vital role that we urgently need to ensure we can keep delivering to a high standard.
You'll be joining us at a really exciting time. We have a start-up mentality, an agile approach, a fantastic profile (1.4 million views of our BBC short film!) and a wonderful set of volunteers, service users and affiliates. You'll be working directly with the founder and will have the chance to make a real impact on the way we operate.
We're a very small team (one founder-director and two directors) and are incredibly friendly and people-focused. We'll actively work with you to make sure you get the most possible benefit from your experience and always welcome your feedback.
location & commitment
We're looking for someone who can commit to around 4-8 hours a week, ideally spread across a few days for continuity. This can be during our outside of office hours. You will primarily be working from home, with occasional meet-ups in Walthamstow will be arranged to suit your availability
Reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed if agreed in advance.